Home Tips for Improving Articulation
To help your child be more successful at speaking clearly, try these ideas.
- Review how to make your child’s sound with them. (You should have received an explanation, handout or video from your SLP).
- Help your child identify words they have spoken or incorrectly in everyday speech for increased awareness.
- Model the correct production/spelling of the word for your child for auditory bombardment/examples of how it should sound.
- Have your child repeat the correct production at the appropriate level (i.e. word, phrase, sentence, etc.).
- Practice high frequency words using the child’s target sound.
- Designate a specific time for targeting correct sound production. A lot of parents opt to do 5-10 minutes of practice before bedtime reading or first thing in the morning.
- Record practice time on a speech log. (If you don’t have one we can provide one!)
If you have any questions or want more information, don’t hesitate to contact your SLP at TSC or reach out to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.